Have you got that new mum zombie vibe going on right now? It’s tough being a mum to a tiny human and there is so little time to just ‘tap out’. But as a mum who once had a newborn and a 16 month old, I have some advice that I wish someone had not only told me, but HELD me to it. So here it is, my top 5 self-care tips to help you feel like a human again.
- Sleep when the baby sleeps – I know this is a cliché, but it’s a cliché for a reason. Whenever your little one is taking a nap, take advantage of that time to catch up on some much-needed sleep. Forget about the laundry or the dishes, they can wait while you put yourself first for once. Just close your eyes and let your body rest. You need it and you deserve it.
- Have a shower – I know, I know, having a shower seems like an impossible task, but trust me, it’s worth it. Even if it’s just a quick 5-minute shower, the warm water can do wonders for your body and mind. Plus, you’ll feel like a new person afterwards.
- Get outside – Even if it’s just for a few minutes, getting some fresh air and sunlight can do wonders for your mental health. Take a walk around the block or sit outside and enjoy a cup of coffee. Trust me, your little one will love the change of scenery too.
- Treat yourself – Whether it’s a fancy coffee or a sweet treat, don’t be afraid to indulge a little. Being a new mum is tough, and you deserve a little something to brighten up your day. Plus, it’s a great way to reward yourself for all the hard work you’re doing.
- Ask for help – This one may not seem like a self-care tip, but trust me, it is. Don’t be afraid to ask for help from your partner, family, or friends. Whether it’s watching the baby for an hour so you can take a nap or bringing over a meal, having a little bit of extra support can do wonders for your mental health.
There you have it, mums. My top 5 self-care tips for surviving the newborn stage. Remember, taking care of yourself is just as important as taking care of your little one. So, take a deep breath, put your feet up, and give yourself a little bit of love. You deserve it!
With Love & Care